Pcet 1st year nerves

It's official, im going back to studying!!, ive took the plunge and i'm going to try and gain a proffesional education and training qualification. Well why not, after all, maybe it's about time, ive been teaching my craft and jewellery making classes in the community now for a while, i've had jobs as class room and teaching assistants as well as many other roles and im currently working as a bank carer in social care. Due to my background in welfare and the ever growing concern for the rapid growth of mental health as well as other health issues putting a strain on the public services, i'm going to be teaching health and care. I'm going to get a placement in a college near by, I'm thinking this is a good idea due to the close proximity and not having to travel too far. I feel very excited yet also apprehensive, i wonder if I'm making the right decision and have mixed emotions. I will be, I suppose in the eyes of the learners, just another tutor they have to answer to. Is it difficult working with teenagers? Do you really get the horror story situations you hear about with secondary and post 16 students? Attitude, extreme behaviour etc? That's a worry, so how do i overcome my fears and my nerves, I don't want to appear incapable in front of a class of students and loose their attention, even, maybe any respect they may have for me, in the first teaching session.
So how do we tutors, educators keep our nerve? Is there a trick to this or do we just stick to past modules and theories with the hope of getting it right?
Health and care year 2 level 3 students, here i come.

Comments